Head Gardener Job Description
Gardening Primary Duties
• Spring clean-up (raking, mulching, cutting back shrubs, grasses, and dead plants)
• Garden Prep (preparing flower and garden beds, adding compost, planting, mulching)
• Seeding/growing new plants, hardening off seedlings and transplanting them into garden beds
• Managing flower beds around the property – shaping beds, mulching, staking and dead-heading flowers,
• Insect and disease management of vegetables (i.e. cucumber beetles, downy mildew, etc).
• Occasional spraying of deer-off on ornamental flower beds to deter deer from eating the plants.
• Watering (sprinklers, drip irrigation, hand-watering)
• Staking and trellising of specific vegetables
• Preparing railing planters with flowers and arranging around property; watering and managing planters throughout season
• Manage composting program – bringing compost buckets from kitchen to compost area; turning compost; spreading compost on vegetable garden beds
• Harvest food and deliver to kitchen at appropriate times as coordinated with the Head Chef
• Oversee one garden assistant and occasional volunteers